Principal Mechanical Engineer
26th January 2022 at 23:55
Parliament’s In-House Services and Estates team (IHSE) manages all property and engineering infrastructure across the Parliamentary Estate.
The Architecture & Heritage Team works within Parliament’s Design Authority, which is part of IHSE. The team acts as “keeper of the fabric” to the seventeen buildings on the Parliamentary Estate (the majority of which are listed) and provides advice and guidance on design, materials and planning to project leaders and consultants and works with the maintenance teams across both Houses of Parliament.
There are currently three architects in the team, together with a Historian and Archivist and two Clerks of Works. With the current increase in major projects, this role offers a unique opportunity to join us and increase the capacity of the team.
The Principle Mechanical Engineer will focus on the provision of subject matter expertise for mechanical engineering and provide team. The post holder will work closely with complementary posts and will concentrate on core delivery over the short to medium term.
The Principal Mechanical Engineer is the expert client and customer representative who establishes and owns the relevant design standards and validates their application. He/she develops, implements and oversees the strategy for mechanical services design and implementation across the Parliamentary Estate. Responsible for leading on mechanical engineering services to meet the long-term needs of user departments in the two Houses.
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will have the following skills/experience:
- Chartered Mechanical Engineer and Member or Fellow of IMechE or CIBSE or equivalent with broad experience with consultants and with client-side.
- Ability to develop mechanical engineering strategies, standards, design guidelines and briefs across a range of building services.
- Experience as an on-site representative overseeing site installation works, monitoring, testing and commissioning complex mechanical services and equipment.
- Ability to effectively manages several complex activities at the same time.
- Demonstrable leadership skills and projects delivery experience and demonstrable competence of operating in a complex stakeholder environment.
In addition to your salary, we offer an attractive range of benefits including:
- 30 days’ annual leave (increasing to 35 days after first full leave year).
- Civil Service Pension scheme.
- Access to training and development
- Flexible working.
- Interest free season ticket loan and bicycle loan.
More information and the full criteria can be found within the Job Description.
If you are interested in this role, please submit your CV, and a 500-word covering letter.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.