Conservation Projects Officer: Furniture and Decorative Arts
Over the next 10 to 15 years, planning for the Northern Estates Programme (NEP) and Restoration and Renewal (R&R) will have a big impact on the collections. In addition to supporting these major projects, the post holder will have the appropriate conservation/restoration qualification and background, an understanding and appreciation of historic furniture and decorative arts Team information and the necessary management skills to:
- Survey the conservation requirements of the historic furniture collections, and the Pugin, Victorian and Scott items. Survey the decorative arts collection that includes silver, clocks and other objects in a wide range of media.
- Undertake regular condition assessments such that conservation priorities can be identified.
- To provide specialist training to relevant parties with regards to object handling and increase understanding and awareness of collections care across the Parliamentary Estate.
- Undertake the planning of conservation needs of the collection that will be required in advance of Restoration & Renewal, and in consultation with the Conservation Manager.
- Specify the work to be undertaken by contractors and supervise the works undertaken.
- Source and procure the relevant specialist conservation contractors to undertake the necessary treatment, ensuring work meets recognised national and international standards.
- Ensure all conservation documentation is recorded on the collections management database, EMu, and address the current backlog of records waiting to be added to Emu.
- Manage all Parliamentary procedures necessary to facilitate the conservation work by external contractors.
- To provide support in response to accidental damage to the collection and/or in response to salvage incidents if/as/when required.
The appointed candidate must have the following:
- Recognised qualification in conservation of historic furniture such as two-year HND in Conservation & Restoration or equivalent experience
- It will also be desirable for the appointed candidate to have experience in other fields of decorative arts conservation and/or Icon Accreditation would be desirable
- Annual leave starting at 30 days pro rata
- Civil Service Pension scheme
- Interest-free season ticket loan
- Discounted membership of the in-house gym
All applications must be submitted on a House of Commons application form. More information on the role and the full criteria can be found on the job description.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.