The House of Lords plays an important role as the second chamber of the UK Parliament. It has approximately 800 Members and is independent from, and complements the work of, the elected House of Commons.
The Lords has three main roles: helping to make laws; investigating public policy, especially through its select committee work; and holding government to account through questions and debates.
The Lords needs a wide range of skills and experience to support its work as an effective second chamber. This is provided by a team of around 600 staff who together make up the Lords Administration. The Administration is led by the Clerk of the Parliaments who chairs the Management Board. Strategic oversight is provided by the House of Lords Commission which is chaired by the Lord Speaker, Lord Fowler.
The aims of the 18-person Communications team include: increasing understanding of the role and membership of the House; promoting the impact and outcomes of the House’s work; highlighting the relevance of its work to UK citizens; ensuring that the House is open and accountable to the public; and delivering the best possible internal communications to Members and staff.
The Communications Director and their team work closely with colleagues in the Commons on all communications matters relating to the UK Parliament as a whole.
- Extensive high-level communications experience in a high-profile context;
- Experience of successfully developing and delivering communication strategy in complex environments;
- The ability to lead and manage a busy and dynamic communications team;
- The ability to provide high-level advice to senior leaders, confidently and with influence; and the ability to establish excellent working relationships across the UK Parliament and beyond;
- The ability to work effectively as part of a senior leadership team, contributing to the delivery and achievement of shared corporate goals including promoting the principles of inclusion and diversity.
More information can be found on the job description.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.