Painter (Multi Skilled)
11th December 2022 at 23:55
House of Commons
The House of Commons a unique and exciting place to work right at the heart of the UK's thriving democratic system.
Behind the scenes, the House of Commons Service is made up of more than 3,000 employees who support and facilitate the smooth day to day running of the House. They provide professional services to Members of Parliament, their staff, and the wider parliamentary community.
In addition to your salary, we offer an attractive range of benefits including:
- 30 days’ annual leave (increasing to 35 days after first full leave year).
- Civil Service Pension scheme.
- Access to training and development.
- Flexible working.
- Interest free season ticket loan and bicycle loan.
The Parliamentary Maintenance Team serves both the House of Commons & House of Lords carrying out reactive maintenance requests on the Parliamentary Estate.
The in-house Reactive team consist of some 45 craft persons and assistants ranging from Plumbers and Electricians to Upholsterers and Locksmiths etc who provide a day to day reactive repair service across the estate
You will work as part of a team of approx. Three Painters based on the Parliamentary estate in Westminster. You will help to maintain our grade one listed buildings and UNESCO world heritage site as well as all the other buildings that make up the parliamentary estate.
The role is varied; including painting, filling, making good to areas, and assisting other trades as needed. We have well-equipped workshops to support you in your work.
This role will be working 33 hours per week, not including lunch breaks. The hours of work will be 3x 12 hour shifts 7am to 7pm, including an hour for lunch unpaid, and another flexible 20-minute break (paid), alternating between Monday to Wednesday and Thursday to Saturday.
Skills and Experience
- NVQ or equivalent in Painting & Decorating
- Providing a wide range of reactive and planned Painting services
- Working on a complex and demanding estate to provide a high quality service
- Methods/constraints when working in an occupied building
- Techniques used to maintain a building including the ability to interpret and work from instructions, drawings and specifications appropriate to your trade without direct supervision
- Building management systems
- Relevant Health and Safety legislation relating to maintenance activities, including manual handling
Communication and Working Together
- Communicates ideas to stakeholders to resolve problems with a broad range of people at all levels. Ability to work successfully within a team, whilst upholding the values of equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Responds to customer needs and meets their expectations.
- Works inclusively and flexibly as part of a team to deliver high-quality services.
- Application Form - If you would like to apply for this role, please submit an application providing evidence against criteria 1-5 in the Job Description.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.