Want a seat at the heart of UK political debates? Passionate about the written word?
The Official Report of the House of Commons (known as Hansard) is looking for six people to join our team of parliamentary reporters. We report subjects of interest to citizens across the country—from county lines to climate change, from 5G to reality TV—so we need a diverse group of people with a wide variety of experience and expertise. We’d like to hear from you, whether you’ve never thought of a job in Parliament or you’ve wanted to work here all your life.
As a parliamentary reporter, you will transcribe what MPs say in Westminster Hall and Legislative Committees, as well as evidence given by expert witnesses to Select Committees. While our reports are mostly verbatim, you will use your judgment to turn the spoken word into clear written English.
Tell us in your application about your skills in the following areas:
- The ability to understand complex arguments
- Strong English language skills
- The ability to produce accurate work to strict deadlines
- Typing speed of 60 wpm
- Good communication skills and the ability to work with others
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite and an ability to adapt to bespoke digital audio software programmes
- Annual leave starting at 30 days pro rata
- Civil service pension scheme
- Interest-free season ticket loan
- Discounted membership of the in-house gym
All applications must be submitted on a House of Commons application form.
Please complete the proofreading test "Fast fashion" attached below job description and reattach your completed test when submitting your application. If you are successful at the shortlist you will be invited to undertake a reporting test and then an interview.
More information on the role and the full criteria can be found on the job description
This Vacancy is closed to applications.